Friday, February 26, 2016

Viscosity Dyeing


My husband is a printmaker and has taught me a smidgen about viscosity printing. It involves using different viscosities of oil based ink in a monoprint or itaglio process in which the thickest inks act almost as a resist to the thinner inks. This may be completely wrong, but it is my blog and my memory so I am going with it.

The ochre shapes were screened first this is a close up of the center of the image below
I have experienced a similar and very surprising aspect of this while working with MX dyes on silk. So for now at least I am thinking of this as "Viscosity Dyeing" I am working on a series of pieces that remind me of tapestries or persian carpets. This is close up from the center of the piece.


54" square of tight twisted seersucker silk

The ochre reminded me of the lush tightly knotted carpets and I was fascinated that it overpowered the blues and just shines right through. I am guessing that this is because the strongly mixed ochre has filled up all the dye sites.  I liked the rug and border aspect so I have continued to explore this. 



  

No comments:

Post a Comment