Follow by Email

Sunday, June 16, 2013

Mono Prints

Had a good time this weekend working with my intern and showing her how to make monoprints using deconstructed screens on Reeves BFK.

We spent Saturday making the screens taking rubbings and drawing on the mesh with thickened dyes. We let them dry overnight and went off to buy the paper.

Any good printmaking paper will do.


This print had a second layer using a thermofax as well as being brushed directly on the screen. You will see remnants of these red stripes printed on the image below. The images are small... only 16"x10" so this moved along quickly.



These two images are fairly early in the print order you can tell because the hand drawn marks are mostly white. The dye was thicker there so it acted as a resist.

Both of these have a second layer added to them while they were still damp. The one to the right was brushed over and the circles were stamped on.



The print on the right shows more of the hand draw red lines they had begun to break down and so printed more than acting as a resist. This has shapes stamped and rolled on top.







Well not sure this might actually have been the third pull... since I think the red line is still acting more as a resist. I always mean to number the papers... maybe next time. Just like this process I tend to be very impromptu and improvisational.


Twas a great way to spend the weekend! Thanks for looking.












3 comments:

  1. Synchronicity for me! Not wanting to waste remnants of left over thickened dye, I painted some directly onto watercolour paper as a fluke...now I'm making paper quilts. I was wondering about the long term effects of the thickener left in the paper though...are you aware of any side effects? I've since switched to using paint for the paper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have several prints that are about 15 years old and show no ill effect. One is framed, so even under glass no problems. I did a series last fall that after several months began to cloud in areas where the dye/alginate were thicker began to cloud over. I am not sure what caused that but this weekend I used a damp sponge and wiped down the areas where this was happening and I will report back. I dried those areas with a hair dryer ( as it is very humid at the moment in Philadelphia) and the cloudy haze was gone.

      I prefer the dyes to paint as they really glow on the paper. Something that most printing ink does not do. I will now search for your quilts on your site. Thanks for commenting.

      Dianne

      Delete
  2. I have deconstructed on Rives BFK and the prints are wonderful. Yours are, too.

    ReplyDelete