Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Ice/ Rain

Looking South 2/1/11



 Philadelphia
Winter 2/1/11


It is hard to remain up beat when the weather is so dreary. The orchids help and the realization that some of my favorite pieces come from experiencing this weather.  I actually really like grey or gray in my palette, just not in my daily weather.

This piece makes me think of the ice covered puddles when the ice is thin enough that if forms bubbles and you can see down to the weeds trapped underneath.  It was made on a balmy summer day, but I remember walking on those puddles and breaking through them. It always gave a satisfying crunch. 

I was also experimenting with using mixed colors that involved MX bosenberry which strike on one side of the crepe de chine and not the other. The pinkish area on the right is gray green on the back. A great advantage in a scarf. Two for one.

back and front you can see the top corner is much pinker
The first time I experienced this I was totally mystified, but now I expect it when I use MX mixed with fast striking reds on this twisted stone washed crepe. It is a beautiful draping silk so it makes wonderful scarves.

"New Jersey Turnpike" Bubble chiffon jacket.

This piece is called "New Jersey Turnpike" and is based on my memories of driving up this highway on gray days like today and seeing the red brambles pushing their way through the sometimes equally gray snow.

It was shown at the Textile Center during Inside/Out, but appropriately enough it is now in the collection of a Jersey Girl.

Now off to the grocery store before all the streets freeze up again and become truly treacherous.

1 comment: